July 16, 2009

Editorial Assistant

So, I've got this new job....
I've been temping 2 days a week at a health and science educational publisher here in town for the past 3 months or so and yesterday my supervisor told me that they would be hiring an editorial assistant soon and she'd like me to apply.
I was so excited. Then I was scared. Then I realized it doesn't pay anymore than I make now. Then I was excited about the prospect of having a job where raises and promotions are an option. Then I started freaking out. Then, I got excited again.
I haven't even told my parents yet. Part of me is resisting admitting that this is really happening because, while it is wonderful, it is not what I wanted. It might be better than what I wanted (and let's face it, I can't actually define what that is anymore), but proofreading chapters on scabies and festering ulcers was not on my radar.
I LOVE the people I work with. The team I'm on is small and I cannot say enough nice things about the editors I've been assisting. I'm oddly shy when I'm there, which I think kind of makes me come off as a bitch, but for right now I'm just trying to not screw up too bad.
So that's where I'm at. I basically decided not to worry about what would happen in August, when my nanny job ends and my paycheck goes with it, and the good Lord has worked this out on my behalf. I am struggling to be grateful, but it's a good kind of struggle. It's forced me to take a good look at my selfishness, my propensity for delusion. Let me just say that it has not been easy but it has been good. Why do people resist counseling? It's so illuminating.
While I still dream of winning the lottery so that I can spend years abroad, I am happy to say I no longer live in the fucked up mindset of believing that it might actually happen. And as much as it kills me to write this, I am very much looking forward to building a 401k (once I figure out what that actually means)! I have a lot of peace about being single, adore my rent-free apartment, am more than halfway done with paying off my credit cards and have begun saving for my Dirty 30 trip to Europe next summer.
Life is good!

3 comments:

  1. you are awesome, I quite agree about counseling

    ReplyDelete
  2. So excited for you! For the job, but mostly for the last part about what you are looking forward to, and how you are at peace, and going to Europe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on the job. I totally get it--the scared part, that is. We could have a convo about that for hours. I am so excited for you and JEALOUS about your 30 Dirty trip. Let's get the fuck outta this stupid St. Louis city. Ugh. :)

    ReplyDelete