December 3, 2009

Don't give up, Ponytail.



I'm not sure if you know this, but I have a girl crush on Tina Fey. Her character on the show, Liz Lemon, is absurd, obnoxious, insecure and piss-your-pants hysterical. Basically, she is an exaggerated, fictional version of me.
I have to admit that I tend to be rather judgemental of people when they tell me they don't like 30 Rock. That comment is usually followed with, "I just don't think it's that funny" or "I don't get it". At this exact moment, my inner monologue tends to come up with one-liners like "That's cause you have no sense of humor" or "Definitely need to look for smarter friends, b/c the show is topical, but not that deep. How do you not get it?"
I have posted this particular clip, because I found myself in a very similar situation last week at work. I was telling my friends Kelly and Liz about how I had just thrown out a bouquet of flowers in my apartment because they were starting to emit that pungent aroma of rot. Their polite but horrified faces told me that I had, in true Anniefesto manner, gone to far.
Most people probably find that smell disgusting, but I tend to really enjoy it. Maybe this is because I have never been sent flowers (except from my parents back in college when I didn't get picked to become an RA) and I cannot bear to throw the ones I buy away. Maybe it's because they smell stronger toward the end of their life (which is, I believe, the case with humans as well), even if the smell is not as pleasant as before. Maybe it's just because once the water gets low and cloudy that means the petals are all about to drop onto the floor, which, since I almost never vaccuum, means I will get to enjoy those flower remnants for months to come.
No matter my reasons for enjoying the decay, mostly I like this clip b/c Liz Lemon is acting the exact same way I would act if I were in her shoes. "You can sweat on me," is a line I am certain has come out of my mouth while conversing with a cute boy in the past. Sort of like "I carried a watermelon?" from Dirty Dancing. I just have to hardest time not saying the first random thing that comes into my head when I am uncomfortable...or just when I am awake.
Awkward is an emotion I am deeply familiar with, my friend. I practically invented it.
So while you watch this clip from '30 Rock', courtesy of Hulu.com, think of me...and the life I have to look forward to.

1 comment:

  1. html - lehenga saree
    AAA Good article, looking more like it, hope you can still see good work.

    ReplyDelete