January 13, 2011

Konichiwa!


The first time I ever had sushi is when I was living in London and looking back, I kind of can't believe I ever ate it again.  My roommates and I went to Yo Sushi,  a chain restaurant that has a conveyor belt running along the back of a bar with various plates offerings of Japanese delight.  That's right, a conveyor belt.  You just reach over, grab a plate, check the description and price and decide if you want to eat it.  It looks like this:
It should be noted that everyone along the line is free to pick up the plate and return it back to the belt if they choose not to purchase that particular dish.  Thinking about the germs that could be passed along just freaks me out now, but at the time it seemed like an adventure.  Then again, almost everything in London seemed like an adventure, so there is that.
I think Chloe told me to stick with the California rolls, which was wise, so it was a nice slow introduction to the world of raw fish (the only 'fish' in a California roll is crab and it's usually of the imitation variety).   I don't believe I even tried nigiri (fish on rice) for several more years and even then I pretty much stuck with the pre-packaged sushi I could pick up from my local Schnucks.  It's actually fairly decent for take-away sushi, if I do say so myself!
Anyway, the point of this post is that I won a free Happy Hour at the Drunken Fish, a local sushi restaurant, and I couldn't be more excited to eat me some fish tonight.  I'm saving as many points as possible for my favorite, the White Tiger roll.  It's got tempura shrimp in it so it is likely to be higher in PointsPlus value, but this girl knows what she likes and can't wait to go nuts on that mother!
Sayounara!
P.S.  Here is a picture chart of different kinds of sushi, in case you are a sushi virgin like I was :)

No comments:

Post a Comment